10 Reasons Why Shelter Dogs are the Best
Mar 02, 2022
Speaking from experience I can whole heartedly say that shelter dogs are awesome, but in case you don't take my word for it then read on for 10 amazing reasons why shelter dogs are simply the best!
- You’re giving a dog a home- Shelter dogs come from all different walks of life, just like people and all they really want is a loving home. When you adopt from your local shelter you’ll be giving a dog a new lease on life and the chance for a fresh start.
- Unconditional love- If you’re worried about connecting with a shelter dog, fret not. They have so much love to give and once you let them into your heart they won’t stop giving all their love.
- Life will never be boring- With shelter dogs you never quite know what you may be getting, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, shelter dogs tend to keep their people on their toes and guessing what little quirk will present itself next. I know from personal experience that when I first brought both of my shelter dogs, Watson and Sherlock, home I had no idea what their true personalities would be and they definitely keep me guessing as to what they’re going to do next, even 6 years later.
- Shelters help with medical costs- Most shelters vaccinate and spay/ neuter the animals that come through their doors which means you won’t have to worry about those costly procedures.
- You’re joining the fight against puppy mills- We all know puppy mills are terrible mass breeding facilities that often treat dogs inhumanely so that they can increase profit. By adopting from your local shelter you are refusing to support this atrocious industry and making a difference for the dogs already in your community.
- They keep you active- Walks are an excellent way to exercise your shelter dog, plus it means you’ll be getting a little exercise in as well!
- You can adopt a dog of any age- Puppies may be cute. But there are many benefits to adopting an older dog such as faster potty training and they typically settle into their new homes faster than puppies. I know this to be so true of my two adult shelter dogs, Watson and Sherlock.
- Shelter staffers know the dogs- Typically shelter staff and volunteers, including foster parents, get to know the dogs on a more personal level and can help make sure they match you and your family with the right dog for your lifestyle. Now that’s a level of service you can’t get from a breeder.
- You’ll be supporting a good cause- By adopting from your local shelter not only will you be giving a dog a second chance at an amazing life, but you’ll also be making room for another homeless dog to find their happy beginning.
- And lastly, it’s fun to spoil them- It can be so much fun to shop for your new four legged family member. Just check out all the amazing handmade items from The Woof Warehouse as a start. From bow ties and bandanas to matching outfits for you and your dog I’ve got you covered!