Skip to content
dogs dressed as easter bunnies with an easter basket, easter eggs, and Happy Easter sign

Easter Hazards to Keep Away From Your Dog

Australian Shepherd dog dressed as a bunny holding an easter basket


Ahh… Easter. That springtime holiday with painted eggs, blooming flowers, decorative baskets, egg hunts, and of course the Easter bunny. But beware because there are many dangers that can cause lots of issues and are threats to the health and safety of your dog. Read on to find out more.

Food Coloring

One of the hallmark activities of Easter is coloring and dyeing hard boiled eggs for the all important egg hunt. But be careful because not all dyes are safe for consumption. Make sure you purchase non-toxic dyes just in case Fido gets into them.

Although the consumption of food safe dyes is not an immediate concern for our pets if your dog gets into a lot of food dye you’ll want to contact your vet or pet poison hotline for advice. Adverse reactions to food dyes are unlikely; however, if you notice any adverse reactions like vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc. after your dog has consumed food dye you should contact your vet or emergency pet hospital immediately.

Basket Fillers

When it comes to bringing the holiday spirit those of us with kids often give Easter baskets full of goodies. Unfortunately for our pups the things we include in these baskets can pose a serious risk. Plastic grass, plastic eggs, foil candy wrappers, and small Easter toys which are often popular fillers are also dangers for our dogs. Not only can these items clog your dog’s digestive system, but they can be the cause of gastroenteritis or even pancreatitis. In order to remove these items and save your dog’s life surgery is often necessary.

If your dog has ingested one of these basket fillers he may exhibit vomiting, dehydration, weakness, diarrhea, loss of appetite, pain, bloating, and/or weight loss. If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog call your vet or emergency pet hospital immediately.

Rotten Eggs

The time honored tradition of hiding Easter eggs for the kiddos to find is a fun activity, but can pose a hazard to dogs. Forgotten or lost and rotting eggs in the backyard, if ingested, can lead to food poisoning of your pup.


Recently talks about xylitol has been going around the dog blogosphere because some peanut butters have changed their formulas to include this dangerous artificial sweetener. What some of us may not be aware of is that xylitol is often found in sugar-free candy, baked goods, and gum. It can also be found in other household items like toothpaste, and vitamins. While harmless to humans it causes a rapid release of insulin in our dogs if ingested. This then leads to an extreme drop in blood sugar. Some serious side effects of xylitol ingestion include liver failure and even death.

Signs your dog might have ingested xylitol includes weakness, vomiting, and seizures among others. Xylitol ingestion should be treated as a medical emergency which requires immediate attention by your vet or local emergency pet hospital.


When most of us think of pretty much any holiday chocolate comes to mind. And as we all know, this tasty treat is toxic to our beloved pooches. Dark and unsweetened chocolate tends to be the most toxic because it contains high concentrations of caffeine and theobromine. Both of which are extremely dangerous to dogs.

Signs that your dog has ingested chocolate includes diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, abnormal or elevated heart rate, and even seizures in severe cases. The ingestion of chocolate should be treated as an emergency, so contact your vet or emergency pet hospital as soon as you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate.

Ham and Other Fatty Foods

Ham, lamb, and other tasty fatty foods are typical Easter fare; however, these foods can upset your pup’s stomach. In more serious cases the ingestion of fatty foods can lead to pancreatitis which can be life threatening.

Some symptoms of ingesting fatty foods includes vomiting, bloating, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, weakness, dehydration, fever, and lethargy. Contact your vet if you think your dog has eaten a large amount of fatty food or exhibits any of the above symptoms.

Meat Bones

While dogs would love to gnaw on over left over ham and other meat bones they can pose a serious risk to our beloved pups. Cooked bones can splinter into shards which can cause choking and puncture wounds to your dog’s mouth, throat, or intestines. If internal punctures or lacerations aren’t treated with emergency surgery it can lead to death.



*The Woof Warehouse is not a specialist or expert in the health of dogs and cannot be held accountable for the health and wellness of your pet. We always recommend seeing your vet for the best care of your beloved pups.

Older Post
Newer Post

Shopping Cart